Pappagone or Porchetta

Comments

• edited February 2009
    "cheap undercooked cheese" was my impression of pappagone. actually make that "cheap undercooked pizza toppings". if anything porchetta pizzas are a bit dry. well, the veggie ones anyway.
  • edited 3:35AM
    david: what you need, my friend, is a pancake.
    I had loads on Tuesday night, and it was 10 kilometres better than any of them pizza places.
    right on brother.

as an afterthought i'd like to give pappagone another 3 feet for lack of pan-banging birthday BS and a piece of string of indeterminate length for having the footy on.
    Pappagone gets my vote (since the poll doesn't appear to work at the top). Pochetta in Muswell Hill is better than the SGR original and better than Roseberry Ave one, which opened opposite my office a few years ago. The atmosphere in Pappa is far better than Porc, which has awful deco, very bright lights and feels like a community centre. Pappa play Rocky music, you can't beat that! Always warmly welcomed as well, which means I don't often care that the pizza is the same as everywhere else.
    Lupa was great when it opened, but went down hill. Firezza tastes best currently, but I'm sure...given time....
    Who knows, I'm sure the old art factory will give us something else to compare lozal pizzas with.
    ps. does no one round SGR like curry! Whats the deal?
    sincers - jai krishna. nuff said.
    The little kitchen on Wightman road is the best takeaway by far. Keep changing their name but once upon a time was called Khan's Balti. Jai's is the best sit-down.

And while we're at it, you can't go wrong with Chez Liline, either.
    and if you like brain-meltingly spicy, the mezabaan on sgr is very good :D
    Hello - i'm new. I've been lurking here for a while but this one finally pushed me to register.

I used to be a big fan of La Porchetta (and i still love the smell of the garlic that wafts across my garden) and was first taken there by Italian friends about 12 years ago. However, to be honest, i've just found that in recent years, it no longer offers the warm reception or value for money that it once did and to be frank, it could do with refurbishment! I think it still has the same decor that it had when i first went there and it looks a bit tired...

In terms of food, there isn't a great deal of difference but i've switched to Pappagone simply because i find it more appealing to sit and eat my food in. They're both noisy so i don't think thats a deal breaker... the service can be crap in both but actually, in recent years, i've found the staff in Pappagone to be a little friendlier.

I actually agonised about switching my loyalty to Pappagone, such was my love of La Porchetta, and i still prefer their calamari but i do tend to go to Pappagone now and actually, the ice-cream selection is a deal clincher for me!

So there you go. Hello.
  • Andiebrown I went through the same experience after years of loyalty to the original pizza place.

Now I feel guilty. Like a pizza slut (which I think should be my username).

Sorry Porchetta.
    Do sluts feel guilty? I thought the general idea was the brains were downstairs and stayed down there.
  • EmsEms
    edited 3:35AM
    Unable to vote - error screen.
    There's a whole thread of curry recommendations somewhere else. I could eat it every day, that's how much I love it. ps: I don't eat it every day
    I caught the curry thread this morning, so looking forward to checking out the DeliveryBox. Dhonia is good, but its always completely empty and I know Mela weren't able to survive on takeaway trade alone.

Unaesthetic - thanks for the feedback on Jai Krishna, I've been there a few times and I can't see the appeal. I used to live in Finchley and was a regular at Rani on Long Lane (Gujarati), where the food is far superior and a lot more traditional dishes.
  • Is it my imagination or has the cooking at Pappagone gone down the tube? We had a take away from there yesterday and I thought the pasta was overcooked, tasteless and covered with a gloopy flavourless mash instead of a decent sauce, nothing fresh about it - not a patch on the dishes they were doing last time. Can't talk about the pizza. Have they got a new chef?
    Hmmm currently the voting stands at Pappagone 48, Porchetta 21.

re: standards at Pappagone - I haven't noticed any change, Had whitebait and Gamberoni recently, both very good. I think the main chef is one of the owners/partners and he's still there.

I can't do La Porchetta - not because of the food, but because the place has the charm and lighting of a petrol station forecourt.
    I think I'm going to do some Venezia orders and see what gives again. Despite his capslock tourettes I want a place between the horns.
    Is this even a question??? Who cares about the vote a.

La Porchetta is the first and the best. Pappagone was started by some scurrilous ex-Porc. waiters, in the days when you had to queue to get in the door at La Porchetta! a lot unsuspecting punters having heard of a great place on SGR walked up from the station saw Papps, thought Italian? Pizza? this must be it! - the Pappa. rogues scuppered the Porc.'s expansion plan a few years back for a a bar next door with a brown envelope in the right hands, funded noise complaints etc. - fact. A chef?!! no one at Pappagone can cook, re-heat yes but cook from scratch no - and the pizza is carpet tile topped with melted carrier bag, of course the fish is good it's ten doors from the best fishmongers in London.

La Porchetta in Muswell Hill and Old Compton St. are not connected to the others -these two are owned by Pasquale, one of two founders and the original pizzaiola at SGR, the others in Islington, Clerkenwell Chalk Farm, SGR etc. are owned by the other founder Giancarlo. - the pair fell out very badly but were a great team in the first 2-3 years of La Porchetta - which was small and we used to buy extra deserts and so on to ensure they stayed in business.

Finally have any of you been to Italy -to a pizzeria? - they tend to be on the noisy side and brightly lit - if you want candleit gloom go to a restaurant and if you want Rocky music go to a gig - Pizza and pasta are basic, workers foods and the pizzeria is supposed to attract all sides of the community -the Porc. is closest to that Papps . could just as well serve a full english and kebab on their current menu - it's a terrible place and I can't wait for it to close when someone does a runner from all the bills.

Oh, and as for the service well it helps a lot if you look at the person serving you whilst placing an order and are clear about what you want - don't hover inside the front door waiting to be noticed and don't scan the menu in silence whilst someone stands waiting for your order - telepathy alwyas takes longer!! - engage with them and the place and you get something back. [ a free Limoncello most likely]
  • AliAli
    I know that I was pretty disappointed at Pappagone a couple of weeks ago and thought it wasn’t that great. I think it is quite difficult to compare both the Restaurants as Papps tries to be more an Italian Restaurant while La P is really just Pizza/Pasta and quite good at it. I agree that La P needs to re format a bit inside but I do think WLM is much worse environment say compared to what it used to be before it’s refurb which was Weatherspoons effort to take on the then new Larrik.
  • edited December 2009
    That report was brought to you by twinspark of Fox News.
    So angry.
    I get a free Limoncello every time I go in to Pappagone, whether I'm eating there or not. I guess being a customer for 11 years will do that? :)
    Porchetta.

Even better still however is Stringray at Highbury Barn (almost opposite Iznick). Their pizzas are truly excellent (and huge), better than Il Baccio on Blackstock Road. Lovely base and generous toppings, plus they do a £5.50 pizza and drink lunch deal. They used to do a 3 course and a glass of sparkling for a tenner dinner deal until a year or two ago. I used to go lots on work lunches. Yum.
    i love that still, all these years later, nothing winds people up like Porc v. Papp.
  • maxmax
    Papps

The food is good at La Porchetta and I don't think there;s any discernable difference in quality. I also don't care about the ambiance/styling of La Porchetta, although I think the place could look better, the the service is utterly abominable. Every time I've gone in there I've been ignored by waiters. I don't care if that's how it's done in a real Italian pizzeria, it's not in Italy.
    Completely agree with maxwhiteford, I don't think I've ever experienced such rude and surly service as I have in La Porchetta in the past. The food is really good and I could ignore the dingy surroundings but I got tired of putting up with the incredibly bad service. I haven't eaten there for over a year and never will again.
    Porchetta seem to have cornered the market in "horror" caterpillars if the this morning's Metro is to be believed (page 30).
  • AliAli
    Reminded me of the Woodies Caterpillar discussions some time back
  • edited October 2010
    Longer article with a fuller response from Porchetta manager here: <http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/home/35_diners_walk_out_of_finsbury_park_restaurant_over_caterpillar_in_a_salad_1_685183>; 24 year old... 10 year old son.. claims of being traumatised by the experience. Hmm. Hungry already, might have to stop by Porchetta on the way home. Tried Pappagone last week, decidedly average pizza and I had to ask three times for glass for my beer.