Favourite Shop Staff on SGR

Comments

• edited 6:58AM
    @ Misscara - what's dodgy about the flower shop? Curious on this one - all the flowers I've got from them were pretty decent.
    It seems to have a lot of empty space, and the time I asked if they did seeds, they looked at me like I was asking for unicorns and helicopters. I have always suspected that something faintly dubious was afoot there, although they did use to have a lovely husky.
    Definitely another vote for the guys in Jai Krishna, the owner of Met's barbers, and if we're stretching it past SGR then all the guys in Londis on Ferme Park Rd, and the dry cleaner a few doors up is very pleasant too.

Surprisingly I've also not had a single bad experience in the new Sainsbury's - everyone there has been very helpful and polite.
    @JonSatriani The self-checkout helpers in Sainsbury's are very good. Also Tesco now has a particularly helpful guy who attends the self-checkouts. At Sainsbury's you are given the option to select 'I'm using my own bags' and it allows you time to position them - avoiding the 'unexpected item in packing area' message. I don't think this is in place at Tesco's yet - where the best technique is to pile up all the items, then hurriedly pack your bags after you've paid.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    They do proper flowers when you ask, and had some decent deep-red roses yesterday, and were more than happy to put something together for less than the £60 they were charging for the bunches they had by the window.

Agree it's a weird place, what with the whole emptiness, but the other time I went there they had a decent bunch ready to go in a few minutes, with care instructions and powder and that.
    @Jenowl - with the Tesco self service areas now, you can put your bag on, start beeping your items through, and it will say "unexpected item in bagging area" but at the same time a button comes up on the screen that you can press to indicate you're using your own bag.
    In my experience that only works if you have carrier bags, otherwise empty. A shoulder bag which already has a library book in it (for instance) will cause complete systems meltdown. But then that goes for Sainsbury's too.
    @Emma

Brilliant! I have waited so long for this moment!
    I love my guys at the Budget across from John Jones. I go in there for something and end up talking to them for 15-20 minutes.

Auntie and Uncle at Steve's across from the World's End are also lovely. During the summer he's always trying to get me to buy ice cream. I'll walk in and he says, 'I think it's an ice cream day.'

In both shops, if I don't have enough change, they let it go.

The Neso guys are really nice too.
  • R&JR&J
    edited 6:58AM
    The Bar Staff at the Stapleton all seem friendly and service in there has never been an issue
    I agree. The new crowd at the Stapleton all seem really nice.
    Definitely, especially the excitable barmaid who made us baffling shots that tasted like foam bananas and looked like miniature pints.
    On the point of the little convenience shop opposite the new Nisa that has been mentioned earlier, there's a planning application to change it to what appears to be a fish & chips shop. Application reference: P102728 ( Is PlanningAlerts broken again?)
    planning alerts seem to break a lot
    Near Djoloff hair?
    It's going to be be in the former 'Pure' shop two doors down from the new theatre - pretty much opposite Morris Place.
  • edited February 2011
    It will help to fast-track my heart attack. A decent chippy on my walk home will be devastating - at least I can avoid walking past Tollingtons.
    I think it's the Green Cedar newsagent rather than Pure/Islington Parking Office. The planning statement states the existing use as a mini-supermarket/newsagent and the proposed floor plans have the flat access and a side street for the bins that fits with streetview.
    The chips at Eden chipper on Seven Sisters Rd opposite the overground entrance to FP are divine, better than Tollington's. The fish, not so good but they do a cracking sausage in batter.
    Thanks ADGS. That excitable barmaid would have been me, the new manager! Came up with the trifle shots a little while ago now, but they still seem pretty popular. Glad you enjoyed them xx
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Misscara - you should have gone elsewhere! If service is that bad, the only way to improve it in big chains is to vote with your feet. If you just put up with it, they'll think they're doing ok.
  • IanIan
    edited March 2011
    @misscara - the staff at Sainsbury's are friendly and helpful and it has been great to go there compared to Tesco's. You are quite right.
  • edited March 2011
    Top of the list without question.

Jack's - both brothers really good to talk with if it's quiet.

Tony's - the butcher on Crouch Hill, and his son always have a story and the eggs are nearly all double yolkers!

Petek - owner is good guy and chef a star-turn with charcoal

Exotic of India - really friendly, free beer while waiting for take away etc.

Yings - v. friendly

Sparks - good guys

Newagents on Crouch Hill -opp Mari e Monte - very jolly woman

The nice lady in Tesco [as she's called in our house] who we remember when she was a saturday girl! [ Liz/Brenda with glasses]

Quick point re. self service tills - don't use them it will put people out of a job. At Sainsburys there's a bolshy girl in the evenings who always points you over to them and I refuse or give her the bag and ask her to do it.
  • AliAli
    edited 6:58AM
    I think Tony is the son ! Apparently self service tills put up to 4 people out of work for each one installed