Sugar Lounge-please respect your neighbours

Comments

• IanIan
    edited January 2012
    Yes, it's not just a renewal, its a late license and music for Sugar Lounge. Given my experiences with Chapter 1 I'm not in favour at all. The noise from Chapter 1 was terrible, and I live a street away, as they didn't bother soundproofing and ignored music sound limits. Frankly Sugar Lounges' approach to noise management so far doesn't exactly breed confidence they will manage it with a late license. <br><br>I also think 1.30am licenses during the week are not particularly the way forward for SGR. There is only one reason for that kind of license - to attract young drinkers from the other pubs after hours. It is hardly restaurant style round here to have people eating at midnight. <br>
  • Details of the new application are here (long link alert!): http://www.islington.gov.uk/Northgate/Online/EGov/License_Registers/StdDetails.aspx?PT=&amp;TYPE=LicenceRegistersFullDetailsPK&amp;PARAM0='WK/111240300'&amp;PARAM1=0&amp;XSLT=/Northgate/SiteFiles/Skins/Islington//xslt/Licensing/LicenceRegistersDetails.xsl&amp;FT=Licence Details&amp;LAYOUT=UE&amp;DAURI=EGov&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;The hours seem to be identical to the existing license, i.e. till midnight Sunday to Thursday, and till 2am on Fridays & Saturdays. The little loophole however is that opening hours and licensing hours are the same, which means that someone could be sold a drink at 11.59pm during the week despite SL supposedly being about to close, and therefore needing time to drink up. Seeing as bars traditionally allow 20 - 30 mins drinking up time, it would be better for the licensing hours to be set at 11.30pm and 1.30am, surely? <br>
  • edited January 2012
    <p>I'm confused.  I looked at the online register earlier and I can't see a difference between the current license and the application variation waiting issue.  I must look at the one posted in the pub again.  Seemed to be different hours on it, but my memory could be at fault.</p><p>@Ian.  You seem to know a bit about all this as you had problems with Chapter One.  What exactly are the different conditions?</p><p>On a positive note I noticed that lots of the License Conditions cover issues like the ones below:</p><p><em><font color="#3333ff">4. All doors and windows to be kept closed (except for access and egress) at all times when noise generating regulated entertainment is taking place i.e. the playing of recorded music, live music/dancing and amplified speech. 5. No drinks shall be taken outside after 11pm and notices shall be prominently displayed at exits to that effect.</font></em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
  • Hmm, looks like I got it wrong, sorry folks. For some reason I had it in my head that I had read it and there were different hours. <br>
  • @Ian - you were right, the notice outside is seeking later hours, till 1.30am Sunday - Thursday and till 2.30am Friday & Saturday. I'll post photos & address details in a little bit. <br><br>Given that they're usually open till 2ish during the week and 3ish at weekends (despite their licensed hours), I don't think anything good can come from these extended hours.... <br>
  • That's surprising.  I thought they were routinely open till about 4am at the weekend, already.   I'm not a regular, but its the one place open on SGR, if you've come from somewhere else, and fancy a bite to eat and more drinking of course.    I'm sure I was there an evening before Christmas and said I was going home, and someone said, yeah but it's only 2.30, and that was on a week night. <div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • It's only licensed to stay open till midnight during the week - I think Islington's licensing team have finally caught up with their extra-curricular activities!<br>
  • Good to know I'm not going mad and didn't imagine it. Strikes me as an optimistic line to emphasise how law abiding they will be with the new late license conditions given that they have completely ignored the license so far. Past performance is a good indicator of future conduct I fear. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2012
    I'd no idea about the drugs in Chapter One. Puts a different slant on the new licence there. Not good. Sugar Lounge, I like, and have had a few good nights and met some lovely fit ladies there in the lastyear (hello Julie!) . Maybe the local pubs should stay open later so these bars would not need to go mad. Less disturbance. Chang
  • <P>"me julie"</P> <P>ali g</P> <P>booyakasha check out me car</P> <P>respec to the staines massive...</P>
  • edited January 2012
  • <P>I live in close proximity to Sugar Lounge and am constantly disturbed by the noise from its patrons, particularly when they loiter outside until 3 am. sometimes even on weekdays. My experience has been that SL make no effort to control their customers. I have, several times, phoned them up to ask them to cut the noise down including the music around 2 am and the response I got was "we'll be closing in half an hour," this is no comfort if you have to get up at 6 to go to work. A previous post commented that if you live on a main road, you should expect noise. The fact is that traffic has pretty well died down by 11pm and there is a big difference between the low hum of a passing car and a bunch of drunks holding a loud, extended converstaion, punctuated by hyena laughs and squeals. As far as the music goes (OK not as bad as Chapter One), I believe they were required to install sound-proofing - which they haven't. Pubs in Haringey that have outside seating, all display signs asking their customers to respect the neighbourhood - and these close at normal bar times. SL don't have any such signs. </P> <P>Given that they already stay open beyond the times of their licence, does this mean they will stay open all night if it is extended? In fact, they have been flouting the rules as they are licensed till midnight Mon to Thurs. Now they want to extend those times to 1.30am. The other point for residents to bear in mind is that the number of people hanging about outside will increase as the weather gets warmer. Far from extending the license, I would be in favour of it being reviewed and brought in line with the pubs along Stroud Green. They all seem to be able to run successful and popular venues without having to resort to staying open all hours. The owner of Chapter One once told me that he sought to appeal to the people who were passing by after the pubs had closed and had turfed them out. In other words, they are already well-oiled; Sugar Lounge appears to be adopting the same strategy. The problem with SL is that it isn't clear what it's supposed to be - a licensed restaurant, a pub, a night club or all of these things. The other problem is clearly its location. It is located in an area with a high residential density. Given that, they need to accept their place in the community at large and accept responsibility;  I am willing to accept that they carry on their business until a reasonable hour which means I expect to be able to sleep in peace by midnight. Given their apparent lack of controlling their customers - indeed, I suspect that they might think that the noise will give their place a buzz - I have no confidence that things will improve. There may be some compliance currently following visits by Islington Licensing, but once they get an extended licence then, based on their past practice,  they will do what they like. Furthermore, the onus is then on the resident to get in touch with noise patrol which means you have to wait for them and have to allow them into your bedroom to hear the noise even though it is obviously loud (apparantly, that is the law). They will then visit the premises, the noise will die down, and then revert ten minutes later after the noise patrol have left. In other words, the process is totally ineffectual. The only possible option then for anybody disturbed by the public nuisance caused is to seek prevention rather than cure, and to make representation to Islington Council opposing the proposal for the extension of the licence.</P>
  • Good argument, well put. Although I myself have enjoyed some late wild times there, I can see the points you make are valid. Chapter One was apparently well run and soundproofed in the middle years, so maybe that is the way to go. I support you objecting to the extended licence . Chang
  • Look, you're all missing the main point. The issue is not the noise, it's where will I go late of a Friday/Saturday eve if the Sugar Lounge isn't open. Do you want me to turn up at your houses with a bottle of rose? Because that's what'll happen.<br>
  • @andpol62 - very well put; when I've spoken to the manager before about the noise from the customers standing outside, I've been told that SL purposely stays open for the benefit of the people working at the Old Dairy and other nearby pubs. Not sure if that's a good enough reason to have a rowdy late-night bar in a predominantly residential area, or sufficient justification for the late-night disturbances.<br><br>It doesn't seem like anything can be done about the noise from the customers hanging around outside (i.e. smokers and their friends); on the occasions when there's a doorman, he ignores them, and Islington can only get involved if the noise is music-related. However, the noise from the pavement increases sharply after Sugar Lounge's licensing hours end - and of course why should Sugar Lounge close at midnight, as licensed, when it can stay open till 2am instead?!<br><br>I think they've been on better behaviour lately because of the license extension, as though to lull residents into believing they can behave themselves, but I noticed they were still open at 12.50am last night (licensing & opening hours only until midnight), so they're slipping! But there's absolutely no reason to believe this will last, judging by past behaviour. <br><br>@Idoru - you might want to cut back on the amount of coffee you drink after lunchtime. <br>
  • But I don't drink coffee.<br>
  • Then cut back on the caffeine, and you won't be trawling the streets of Stroud Green at 3am looking for somewhere to go!<br>
  • @idoru you can come round to me and Jonty with a bottle of wine - landlady Joyce will also like a late nite party vibe !! Agree it's good to have a late nite drinking den - that's why Lorne Road is so good . Chang
  • Party at Chang's place!<br>
  • last night was a fantastic event at SL and unusual for a mid week treat. thanks to mike and of course jonty for the company and carlo for the music. it was cold on the way home and i was late for snipping at work but it was worth it for the special glow with lovely ppl and sexy music. Chang
  • A letter arrived from Islington Council yesterday saying that Sugar Lounge's application for the extended hours has been withdrawn. <br>
  • Withdrawn rather than rejected? Interesting. They've started opening earlier and doing lunches, so maybe they're moving away from attracting the late-night crowd. <br>
  • <p>Things have quietened down over there but what are their legal hours now?  </p><p>However, their doorman is still very easy going at times.  I know he's a nice guy but can he ask crowds to step in when they're shouting their heads off.  I've experienced good doormen as a customer and as a club runner who were very good at that.  It's part of the job, well it should be.</p>
  • Their legal licensing hours are the same as they've always been: midnight Sunday-Thursday and 2am Friday and Saturday. <br><br>Personally I don't think the doorman is a nice guy. I think he's overbearing, officious and sexist. But then my favourite barman has left so I've no reason to go in anymore.<br>
  • <p>By being a nice guy, I mean he seems to do nothing at times..As a resident I just notice him staying in the door when lots of people are out making noise for more than a few minutes, often laughing with them.  I don't know about his sexism.  I think a doorman/woman should be officious (but in a pleasant way) but not overbearing.  They should never be sexist.</p>
  • Their legal hours were always the same but in the past they extented them for hours and got a way with it.  Slack Islington council and others.  They have kept to their legal hours lately, but do tend to extend them a bit now and again.  Management, if you take the piss on this as I know you probably will do as the weather gets better we will report you and you could have your license taken from you.  You can make a living there but don't turn the Sugar Lounge into a late night drunk zone.  Cheers!