New Costa?

Comments

• After a long period of inactivity there now seems to be action this week to fit out the Sainsbury's. I'm sure it will be pretty underwhelming once open (it's very small, and if you want a medium size supermarket the Nisa round the corner is fine and very friendly). But I'm just looking forward to getting the pavement back and that block finally not being a building site (which goes back to the original Vista development ?4 years ago).
  • I don't understand why Sainsbury's have felt the need to occupy the pavement for so many months, except that they have a complete and utter disregard for the locals...<br><br>Why do they think the locals will be willing to patronise them given how they've behaved?<br><br>roy<br>
  • edited July 2012
    Maybe because Sainsbury's knows that in the long term our short-term self-interest will over-ride any current feelings of indignation.
  • I particuarly like the fact that, not content with having taken up half the pavement while doing <b>nothing</b> with their shop, they've now taken to putting barriers across the pavement during the day, either side of their site entrance, to entirely prevent us inconvenient potential customers inconveniencing <b>them</b>.<br><br>I'm sorry, but it's going to  take me a long while to get over my feelings of indignation.<br>
  • edited July 2012
    Don’t worry, it should be finished just in time for JJ to commandeer all the other pavements within sight.
  • If JJ need to use the other pavements it's not really that big a deal, since those roads are far less busy than SGR, both in terms of pedestrian and vehicular traffic.<br>
  • getting back on topic. I've called in twice now to get a coffee on the way to work at around 8.15 and the place is DEAD. The first time I was the only person in there and the second time I was one of three.<div>It still smells like new paint and upholstery!</div><div>Sadly, the first time I got an iced coffee it was made incorrectly. Hopefully teething problems with new staff.</div><div>I wouldn't sit outside there in a million years, you'll either get knocked down by a lorry reversing out of Sainsbury's site or a foolish cyclist.</div><div>A note to Vagabond:</div><div>Costa's iced coffee comes in three sizes priced up to £2.85. Vagabond's is £2.50 and is quite small with LOTS of ice taking up the space in the cup.</div><div>When I want an iced coffee, I'll go to Costa - and for anything else (including amazing cake!) I'll be at Vagabond</div>
  • I went to Vagabond for the first time a couple of weeks ago and then again later the same week. Nice mocha and ok cake (nowhere near as good as Good for Food) but both times I felt like I was intruding in a club of some sort. The staff were having a loud conversation with some of their Antipodean friends that were there, and they were so busy chatting to them that they didn't bother to say thank you when they cleared the table or goodbye when I left. In a place as small as that you'd expect every customer to get a hello and goodbye! Perhaps their success means that they don't feel the need to provide friendly service or maybe devout coffee worshippers just don't expect courtesy from the place they buy their coffee. Either way, I won't be going a third time.
  • I've only been there twice and I found them to be quite friendly.  I agree it is a bit like a private party in there and very hipstery.  Reminds me of 'too cool for school' Berlin cafes, but I think it's still nice to see a coffee shop that isn't a chain, isn't sterile (sorry have to bring up BBM again, and Dream River Cafe).  I think the size and hipster nature will always be there.  Still a good little coffee shop with damn fine coffee.  Not a big coffee man myself but seems like the best around.  P.S.  Coffee shops shouldn't have wiFi.  In fact they should block all mobile signals too.  A better atmosphere would be created as a result.  
  • Love love love Vagabond. Isn't there a rule whereby if you are aware of the concept of hipsters you are by definition one of them? <br>
  • edited July 2012
    @ Mirandola.  I think I'm a bit too old to be a modern day one. Early 40s.  I don't hate hipsters.  Infact I love early hipster, beatnik culture.  Burroughs, Ginsberg..  But I think modern day hipster culture is a bit of cliche and too refined compared to its previous incarnation which was rougher round the edges. I think most culture is recycled now or I'm just too old.  Vagabond is a great cafe but is quite modern day hipster.  A copy of a copy, but still better than a chain or BBM/Dream River Cafe.<div><br></div>
  • Why don't you like Dream River, Kreuzkav?  I do.
  • @kreuzkav - I think this is just a standard rejection of youth culture from someone who is getting older. It was only missing "and the music doesn't have any tunes".
  • @ Checkski.  I think Dream River probably comes second after Vagabond in the cafe league round here.  I haven't been in there since the refurbish as I'm not a big coffee drinker.  It has lots of space but was a bit lacking in atmosphere.  Still a good place to have a coffee.<div><br></div><div>@ Andy.  Agreed,  I stopped trying to be hip with 'da youth' a few years back as I'm in the middle years now.  I always preferred music from the past -60s garage rock, post-punk... Even when I was younger and a lot more into music I found it more recycled than in previous eras.  I think the music has too many tunes now.  Whatever happened to industrial noise music?  But there's still a lot of good new music out there often showcased at All Tomorrow's Parties or by hip Pitchfork.</div>
  • Hey, if Paul Krugman can find time to see that 'the wonder goes on' then so can I: http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/19/musical-meta-self-indulgent/<br><br>Tho will admit that Pitchfork makes it easier. <br>
  • Stunning - I still don't like Arcade Fire very much :o)
  • @Marquis Me neither (apart from Suburbs 2) but the principle applies. For example, Channel Orange is amazing.
  • <div>NME is generally crap now but a google search got me to this.</div><div><br></div><a href="http://www.nme.com/news/pussy-riot/65415">http://www.nme.com/news/pussy-riot/65415</a><div><br></div><div>Proves the youth still have some protest spirit in them.  They don't need Mumford and Sons etc. to while their coffee hours away and decide where the best place to buy a house or cocktail is.  </div>
  • <p>The NME isn't the cutting edge any more (if it ever was) is it? Stone Roses, Courtney Love, Noel Gallagher, The Clash and The Monkees! </p>
  • edited August 2012
    I guess I'm a bit older and remember its dying edgier days in the 80s. Around 1990 it became like a tabloid.  After 2000 it was one.<div><br></div><div>Music became novelty, but I think there was something a bit more literate about music and its journalism in the 60s, 70s and 80s.  More of a  literal story to it. The Kinks, 70s Bowie, Buzzcocks.  Soft Cell.  Then Stone Roses, Oasis, Courtney Love turned into a big spectacle and tabloid drama.  Let's hang out with Tony Blair......ya ya ya</div>
  • Really doubt it's fair to lump Stone Roses, Oasis and Hole together. Goes off humming Violet to herself.
  • edited August 2012
    Hole were tabloid Melody Maker/NME friendly.  You'd see a journalist called Everett True licking  Courtney and Kurt Kobain's balls et al all the time.  Good band all the same.  I think Babes in Toyland were better.  Kat Betjaland really had an amazing voice.<div><br></div><div><br><div><a href=""> </div><div><br></div></div><div>Not exactly Mumford and Sons!</div><div><br></div><div>And this says it all about Courtney</div><div><br></div><div><a href=""> </div>
  • It confirms every stereotype I have of Kreuzkav that he would harbour an obsession about Everett True.
  • Obsession? Andy, Everett was okay but seemed to be in bed with the bands.  It was a bit tabloid-like. 
  • New Bob Dylan album comes out on September 11th, called ‘Tempest’. Why would anyone talk about anything else?
  • @Arkady. I do like Dylan fans. You're so focused. <br>
  • That's a kind way of putting it, thank-you.<br><br><br>
  • @kreuzkav Twenty-five years ago.
  • What you don't realise is that kreuzkav is really a 14-year-old girl from Orkney. She's never even been to Stroud Green. I am a 50-year-old truck driver.<br>