Development of John Jones Site / Sketch House

Comments

• Fantastic news. Half-tempted to fire an FOI request off to LBI asking for the amount spent (wasted!) on this whole debacle.
  • Bet they'd tell you that fulfilling the request was too expensive.<br>
  • I though that under the open data initiative all council spending above some (small) threhold was available to the public....<br>
  • not staff time. i think it's external costs only.
  • Just to add a further congratulations, great news.  I see City North is due to start in the next few months too.  This bit of Finsbury Park is going to look very different in a few years time.<br>
  • Is it true that the Railway Pub is going to be a Starbucks. ? Terrible shame. Not the greatest bar in the world and hardly any seats (why?) but a nice size and the panelling is attractive as are the bar staff. With the theatre opening it could do better business. Chang
  • Re The Railway, the owners have applied to make it one story higher (contrary to my previous assertions, it is NOT the Worlds' End who have requested this (again).<br><br>I understand that there has been tentative permission given, conditional on them being able to match the existing brickwork.<br>
  • @andy: would the legal costs not be external costs then?  Does the council employ its own counsel?<br><br>roy<br>
  • Normally. With planning, children's services and the like, councils spend a lot of time in court and I'd expect islington to have a decent size legal team
  • And what do you know? Google is amazing http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/legal_department_request_8 40 lawyers are employed by islington council.
  • Re City North, do we know what level of disruption it will cause to the tube station, and particularly the Wells Terrace entrance, since that passageway is within the boundaries of the development site?<br>
  • RoyRoy
    edited July 2012
    Oh, found the <a href="http://www.islington.gov.uk/onlineplanning/docserver/applications/2009/12Dec/P092492/(W72) Environmental Statement - Chapter 16. Demolition and Construction Effects.pdf">relevent bit</a> of the planning application.<br><br>A quick skimread suggests it shouldn't be too disruptive at all....<br>
  • edited July 2012
    Indeed, it's being built on top of the tunnel so it shouldn't disrupt the entrance.  With luck it might lead to the tunnel being better waterproofed...<br>
  • Interesting it includes passive provision for a new ticket hall for Finsbuy Park station.  Also, the proposed floor plans look to include new stairways and lifts for the underground station, this isn't on any work programme is it?  I hope the development gives the current Wells Terrace entrance a face lift.<br>
  • There must be lifts planned in the station as they're currently in breach of disability discrimiation law. I seem to remember there is also a planned shortcut tunnel from the Wells Terrace entrance to the Moorgate line platforms, does anyone have a link to the proposed station refurb? I'm sure I've seen one.
  • http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/finsbury-park-brochure.pdf<br><br>That's the old upgrade plan for the station.  Only the internal redecoration was ever funded.  Redevelopment of the Wells Terrace entrance will need to be funded by Network Rail and/or TFL, but it's not out of the question that City North will be made to make a contribution to that.<br>
  • Will City North not want a tube enetrance running through the shopping centre ?
  • Passive provision is there.  But that's a good question, I wonder if they did a cost-benefit analysis of funding the new entrance.<br>
  • TfL and Network rail are more or less exempt from disability legislation when it comes to existing stations - it only becomes an issue when major reconstruction works happen.<div><br></div><div>In the case of The Underground, this is for a good reason - the cost is enormous- easily in the 10s of £m for each station.  Green Park has just had this kind of work done for the olympics.</div><div><br></div><div>In saying that, Finsbury Park is actually quite an easy station to do because the platforms are not so far below ground and there are existing staircase shafts that can be used for lifts.   Interestingly, LU and NR both have accessibility schemes for the station (for former's not funded) which were developed independently and not terribly joined up. </div><div><br></div><div>I'm personally amazed nobody thought to fund this from a s.106 condition on the City North development - the Wells terrace entrance could very easily have been included as part of the new development. </div><div> </div><div><br></div>
  • Is there any way of finding out the contents of a s.106 agreement?  The City North planning application on the Islington web site says that one is in place, but as far as I can see the text of it isn't amongst the numerous documents that are provided?  Are s.106 agreements secret?<br>
  • Pass, though I'd like to know the answer.<br>
  • @Arkady: A bit of Googling suggests they should be available from the planning department, but it might require a visit to the council offices and payment of a (substantial) fee to obtain a copy.  (e.g. I've seen reference to one council charging £50, and another charging 50p/page).<br>
  • <p>Update on JJ Development - we are still waiting for a definite date, but we are hoping to start work on site in the next month. There is some info about trees on our <a href="http://www.johnjones.co.uk/news/2012/09/john-jones-new-arts-building-update/">website </a>as there was some local upset regarding the removal of certain trees. Rest assured, we are replacing all trees and adding more!  </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
  • Good stuff. Will you start by demolishing your buildings on Morris Place? Or do you have to knock through from Clifton Terrace first?
  • People do get very upset about the idea of removing trees, shrubs etc., which is understandable but in this case I think a golden opportunity is at hand.  Over the last decade, maybe a bit longer, there has been a much better assessment of which type of trees work best in difficult urban environments, particularly  public paved areas.  Selecting trees that  grow well in harsh and usually dry conditions, cause less root related problems, will need to be pruned less as their growth is appropriate, their form (shape of the tree) is suitable (i.e. more upright) which means large vechicles don't rip of boughs and branches etc...these are a few benefits which are best for the trees and the budgets for those who are responsible for maintaining them.<br><br>Trees are a renewable source and getting the chance to plant the right trees in the right place is a good thing, long term.  I hope that John Jones get really good arboreal advice and we see some really fabulous planting!?  <br>
  • Were I John Jones, I would have been tempted display some notices on the trees explaining the reason for their fate and their imminent replacements with an equal number of more appropriate trees. I don’t know whether that’s technically legal or not, but it would have helped to avoid complaints. A few posters on the hoardings showing what is being built would be good for community engagement too.<br><br>I’ve seen similar problems in the King’s Cross Central development. The amount of green space, including ‘wild’ green space – is being greatly increased. As part of this many old, unhealthy and non-native plants are being removed. Despite the considerable aesthetic and environmental benefits of this there have been lots of complaints from green do-gooders who are poorly informed about the scheme and regard the removal of the sickliest shrub as an act of genocide. These are the same people that think the new square (handling tens of thousands of travellers per day) in front of King’s Cross station should be grassed over, which is another way of asking for some viscous mud to be added to the commuter experience.<br>
  • <p>Thanks Arkady. We have info on the hoarding which goes up later this month/ early Nov - and signs now up on the trees too now, so hopefully things will quieten down! I appreciate that change is difficult for local people when they're not fully informed so we're going to try and give out as much info as we can.</p><p>Applehead, we're working with Watkins Jones, the construction company, who are responsible for the planting - I think planting is so important to the environment and we're really keen to do something lovely, ideally involving creativity/ art in some way... but obviously also something that is easy to maintain and can't be vandalised!</p><p>Our business entrance will temporarily change to Clifton Terrace (hence the removal of some trees), then the construction company will get started on Morris Place.</p><p>I still can't quite believe its all about to happen!</p>
  • Please plant fruit trees!! If you need some suggestions on suitable ones, I'm sure Urban Harvest/Transition Finsbury Park would be happy to advise. 
  • Does anyone have  the planning reference for redevelopment currently occuring between the theatre and the new chip shop?<br><br>While searching for it I found <a href="http://www.islington.gov.uk/services/planning/planninginisl/plan_interest/Pages/planning-search.aspx?extra=7">this </a>planning permission for the interwar pub on the corner.<br>
  • Ah, <a href="http://www.islington.gov.uk/onlineplanning/docserver/docs.jsp?caseId=P101115">found it I think</a> - it's a continuation of the development they have done aove the chip-shop.  Excellent<br>