Any good knitting groups/courses

edited February 2010 in Local discussion
I've just started knitting again after a break and wondered if anyone knew of a local group/course that is run. I need to learn some stitches and improve!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 6:50PM
    I'm part of a knitting and crochet group that meets in the cafe in Hornsey Library on Saturday mornings between 11ish to around 1pm. It's a really good mix of ages and the group leader is happy to help beginners and improvers. There's usually around 8 of us and you can turn up for the whole session or just for half an hour or so.

It's free to join although I think the group leader is paid by the library. I'll be there next week if you'd like to come along.
  • AliAli
    edited 6:50PM
    I believe there may be a Knitting Club at SG School but I guess you will have to be under 11 to join it. They need un-used wool so if any one has some why not donate it.
    Thanks for the info. Eliz I'll come on the 27th and check it out. Hopefully see you there.
    Great. You can teach me some stitches! Look forward to meeting you both.
    I won't be there on the 27th but just turn up and you'll be made to feel welcome. Here's some [more information](http://www.saranoble.co.uk/page7/page12/page12.html) about the group.
    Any idea how we can donate unused wool to SG school? I have tons... I wouldn't mind knitting with some people every so often but my Saturday lunch times are strictly reserved for sushi eating.
    I've been working on a complicated knitted beret for a while now, keep unravelling it because it doesn't look quite right. It might be nice to get some help with it. Did you end up making light weight halterneck tops and little bags, knitting in the summer though?

Do you do other craft things? I found myself transfixed by Kirsty Alsop's Homemade Christmas when it was on, and that other thing she did with the quilting and the wicker baskets.
    I went to a 'stitch and bitch' in Angel a while ago but it was too dark to stitch and not much bitching went on either...plus no one was drinking!
    i've been making a strawberry tea-cosy for about three years. it's not even difficult, i just need some motivation. that group at hornsey library looks lovely, and they worked on the hyperbolic crochet coral reef! my favourite woollen item ever.
    I've just learnt to crochet (two weeks ago) so could show you the basics?!! But it would be great to set up a group. Just started a book group resulting from a discussion on here. If we try our the library idea and meet each other we can discuss how we want to progress. How exciting. I'll wisper my email address to you miss cara.
    I can't crochet either. I've always found all the strange fingering stuff just plain weird, although the end result can look great. I like knitting, but I tend to go for really hard patterns with lots of the cabling and bobbles, and then I end up watching TV/chatting on the phone knitting at the same time and losing my place in the pattern.

I'd be more likely to go somewhere local, especially if it was in a bar, be good to see other peoples' little woollen masterpieces.
    i can crochet squares and circles but not make anything constructive out of them. i want to make a [satsuma rattle](http://thebabygardner.com/productpages/justforbaby/j4clementine.html) for a baby due in may. i find the rattle cuter than a baby itself. it'll probably take me about four years. i will definitely come along one saturday soon but to set up another more local group would be nice too.
    i may have to resort to that. but theirs don't have cute faces on! there is some really nice stuff on [their website](http://www.allthefunofthefair.bigcartel.com/) but it just makes me feel guilty buying something that i know i could make myself if i had the self-motivation. cf. houmous and pesto.
  • AliAli
    edited 6:50PM
    Becky, If you check then link below the school is asking that it handed in at the school office which is on the Perth Road side of the school towards the Woodstock Road end. You will see a ramp and red door and a buzzer which will get you in. I guess it wile b open next week once the kids are back at school. http://www.stroudgreen.haringey.sch.uk/?cat=7 You never know you might be able to buy back items made from the wool at the Summer Fair ! They are also looking for Chess Sets to start a Chess Club
    I could never get on with knitting as I'm not very patient and found it took too long before I could see anything tangible. So my Nan taught me to crochet, just a simple stitch and the result was my first blanket made from her leftover oddments of wool. I have since widened it and it is now one of a load of blankets we have on our beds. With that one simple stitch and the use of colours they are all different but very warm. I have used patterns for things like matinee coats (for my grandaughter last year), that came out alright but my impatience crept in when following the pattern again made it take a long time. I was then asked to make a christening gown but the cost of the materials was prohibitive so instead I made a christening (long) matinee jacket for after the ceromony. It started with a pattern but as I went along I adapted it and put in my own design, change of stitches etc, and I was well pleased with the result. But now I'm sticking to blankets again, colours, squares, stripes and edgings all make each blanket an individual item. Baby blankets are the call for today and I have already been commissioned to make one for a neighbours baby for just the price of the wool and a pint or two of Guinness (in the Fullback). [Shame it's so dark in there of an evening, I'd take my project in with me if I could see it better]
    So if you set up a group in the Fullback, let me know. I'm not very mobile but the pub is local and I'd love to join in.
    I'd be up for a knitting group too. I like the idea of one in the Fullback's Ewok village when the weather gets nice.
    I've been knitting for a couple of years now, and I'd love to do it socially. I can talk and knit at the same time!

Do I need to be a member of hornsey library do you think, to come along on Saturdays?

I'm free on 27th too, so maybe see you all there?

For future knitting groups in SG how about at Sugar Lounge? Are they open Saturdays? They have a nice front room feel? I'll think about other options too.

Good thread! Tx
    You don't need to be a member of the library to join the group, we meet upstairs in the cafe area (no pressure from the cafe staff to buy drinks or food, they're very easy going). The group is spilt about half and half between those who knit and those who crochet and obviously some talented types can do both. I like the sound of the outdoor Fullback knitting group too.
    I think good light could be a thing. Before Christmas I was in the Ferry Boat Inn on Ferry Lane in Tottenham. There was a large group of men (bald and beardy) there making complicated little models. They'd brought their own lights which I thought was very organised, but I guess was necessary for the task.
    I'm happy that I've attracted so much interest. As a suggestion shall those of us who can make it on the 27th meet up at the knitting group and decide how we can make this work. If those who are interested whisper their email addresses to me I can get an idea of numbers and ideas of where to hold this knitting group.

Great work!
    The Fullback garden is under threat from the council who say they didn't have the right planning permission and want them to pull it down. As for light, I'm sure they can accomodate us. I've done the quiz in there a couple of times and they've had to bring down a lamp for me to be able to read my own questions. Depending how many there are we could utilise the round table in the small back bar with a nice lamp in the middle? (or each of us wear our own head torch!)