Zebra crossing Florence/Tollington

Comments

• AliAli
    edited 5:00PM
    There was a guy with a clipboard doing some sort of data collection this morning on the walk to school. The car drivers seemed to be bahaving today
  • edited 5:00PM
    there's a petition too but I'm afraid I can't do the link thing...
    __Online Petition__ for a safer crossing: <http://campaigns.libdems.org.uk/page1633>;
  • Yes - please do sign up to the petition. The Council keep saying they will look into making the crossing safer - but to turn these words into action, we need to show that local residents are really concerned about this issue.

More details and a lovely picture (sorry - no pointing) are on my <a href="http://www.richardwilson.me.uk/2010/06/14/lynne-launches-campaign-for-safer-crossing-at-upper-tollington-park/">website</a>
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    IMO it needs scrapping and a new proper crossing installed nearer SGR. It's hopeless where it is for us coming from Victoria Rd to the school and back. Maybe if its further along traffic will be slower as it's closer to the big SGR/TP junction, so traffic heading towards SGR will (maybe) think about slowing down on the approach to the junction, and cars driving towards Endymion Rd won't have had much of a chance to build up speed after they've gone through the junction...?
    It is one of the very rare stretches of road where I will regularly cross in sight of a crossing, but not on it. I normally go over somewhere between Florence and Oxford, and very seldom have to wait longer than a Pelican cycle.
    Well, there's now an electronic 30mph speed sign on UTP on the Lancaster Road side of the bridge ...
    And I think this makes the crossing even more dangerous as the 30mph sign is much brighter than the crossing beacons so drivers' eyes are drawn towards that and won't see the crossing....
    and it is on the other side of the crossing i.e. after you drive over the crossing, rather than before it.
    Well I think it's a good thing. At least something's being done about it. Let's hope it works.
    I think where they've placed it is incredibly distracting for drivers coming up from stroud green road. why it's not before the crossing I have no idea. It begs belief why they've put it there...
    Petition Signed.
    Police were just past the crossing, pulling speeding drivers over this morning.
    There was nearly another accident there yesterday - a too sudden stop by a car made the one behind nearly go into it. The driver of the car behind was praying/celebrating lucky escape. There is a traffic light pedestrian crossing in Haringey on White Hart Lane and they have a lollipop person there in the mornings. Why can't we borrow that lollipop person? They don't really need one when they have traffic lights, do they? Great that the police are doing something, but it doesn't solve the root causes of the dangerous crossing long term.
    How about putting the heads of speeding motorists on spikes, a few metres either side of problem crossings?
    Driving along UTP a couple of days ago (from SGR), there is very poor visibility for drivers of people about to use the crossing. Some kind of build-out of the pavement on the northern side would help enormously.
    I attended an area conference recently at which a LibDem councillor was talking to our Neighbourhood Manager about this crossing. The Neighbourhood manager was nodding his head and saying things like 'Give me a ring, we'll get the engineers out to have a look and we'll see what needs to be done.' So why the petition? I think the LibDems may be pushing at an open door and will then claim victory.
    I've always found the Neighbourhgood Team very helpful - and it's often quickest to go directly to them.
    @sg_mike

I quite agree, this lack of visibility is the main issue, and what you've written is almost word-for-word what I suggested when I filled out the petition. This fact makes it even more mystifying as to why they put the 30mph boards where they did, cars travelling eastbound along UTP need to be warned BEFORE the crossing.
    That crossing gives me the heebie jeebies.
    It'd be no surprise if it were haunted, considering.
    Now the lights on the crossing aren't working so it is almost impossible to see that there is a crossing there, making it a lot more dangerous.
    The lights haven't been working on the Fonthill Rd/Tollington Park intersection for weeks and weeks now. Oddly, this seems to make it feel less dangerous.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wrong side of the bed this morning?
    Gosh Misscara, I don't think I've seen that amount of venting from you before.... Not that I disagree with much of it, especially the silly cycle lanes. But what is the "pavement going up to the footbridge"? I can't work out where that is, and when you're so passionate about it I'd like to know whether I agree with you.