Riots

Comments

• jj
    edited 9:59PM
    Maybe it's finally quiet now that the rioting morons are busy at home trying to set up their big TVs <i>sans</i>-instructions-manual
  • edited 9:59PM
    Except for that depot which exploded a few times in Tottenham a short while ago. In case any of us were thinking it was all over for tonight!

Stroud Green seems to be snoring peacefully, though :)
  • edited August 2011
    Miss Annie - regarding your post (some way back now) -

"If you grew up in a nice family, with enough money and then went off to have your nice university education and well paid job, own home in a nice area etc. I can see why you would perhaps feel some guilt about what's going on and maybe feel that we created this mess ourselves.

If, however, you spent your early years on a rough east London council estate with a single mum and no money, then went to an average comprehensive, no university and then spent your life just about making your rent payments and doing without things that others take for granted you might see things differently.

Whichever it is you are still a human being and you still know right from wrong from a young age. Stealing is wrong, hurting people is wrong, burning down other people's houses is wrong. If you choose to do these things you should be punished - hard."

I agree with all of this, but there's one major omission. Lots of kids who went to good schools and universities don't appear to have any sense of guilt, and still end up stealing from others and wrecking communities, by becoming investment bankers. And I'd like to see those venal scum, and the venal looter scum, treated with the exact same severity.

Anyway, glad SGR still seems secure, and the unrest has now moved on to the provincials (behind the times as ever).
    Last night a knot of 7 policemen on Stroud Green Road - assumed it was just preventative.
    This morning The World's End all boarded up (again preventative?) but a pall of smoke drifting across Stroud Green Road.
    Anyone know if anything happened last night?
    I heard a rumour that the World's End isn't boarded up because of the riots, it's boarded up because it's closed down. Anyone know if this is true?
  • R&JR&J
    @Four Eyes Don't think so, people were drinking in there while it was being boarded up and police were there observing so I'd say it was under their advice
    that is the ultimate lock-in
    did anyone hear 3 explosions last night around 12.30am? any ideas? they were loud.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes we heard loud bangs and quite a lot of shouting from our flat on Victoria Road. The most noise we have heard over whole riot period. The Sugar Lounge is boarded up today...maybe linked
    The explosions last night were from a recycling centre in Tottenham, there's more details about it on here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8692493/London-riots-explosions-spark-blaze-at-Tottenham-recycling-plant.html
    Also, World's End and Sugar Lounge being boarded up are just precautions in case any looters happened to stroll past - I'm sure they'll take them down once the threat has passed!
    A skip was set afire around midnight on Victoria Road and Mount Pleasant Crescent, which attracted some youths. The police and fire brigade arrived quickly and that was that.
    This is worth reading

<a href=http://rosamicula.livejournal.com/540476.html" target=_blank">Most of the kids are alright</a>

Through skateboarding I end up meeting and talking to a lot teenagers that fall into hoodie, Neet, or whatever you want to call it territory - some skate, others just hang around often doing some low grade recreational drug abuse and underage drinking.

They can seem intimidating but when you talk to them you realise that fundamentally most of the kids really are alright and they are more intimidated by you than you are by them. Engage them and they appreciate it.

We shouldn't forget that a lot of those involved in this are simply going along with a herd trash it mentality. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be cracked down on hard, but demonising kids more won't help.

In my time in Stroud Green I've had more kids offer to help me than menace me, from pushing a broken down car to opening a door.

This blogger is right, if we all did one thing to help a kid more disadvantaged than us, even if it was just speaking to them like human beings, it would make a big difference.
  • edited August 2011
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/08/10/london-riots-teacher-31-pleads-guilty-to-looting-as-court-cases-start-115875-23334652/

31 year old teacher pleads guilty to looting.

Now what was I saying about too many people in authority occupying the moral low ground? Or should that be swamps? I rest my case.
    Heard on the radio that the government have sanctioned the use of water cannons. Would have thought that cannons loaded with the type of liquid 'fertiliser' that is sprayed on our fields would be far more effective.
    I thought SGR was not on the list for the moment, but I was wrong.

http://goo.gl/Rd5c5

My neighbour just told me that the window at little Sainsbury has been smashed.
    Interesting...

The London riots have seen sales of baseball bats rise more than 5,000 per cent on Amazon's UK website as the unrest spreads across the country.

http://goo.gl/Lmvw0
    Yes and I think they only keep about 10 in stock at any one time.
    The 'authorities are not respected' issue is a curious one. We have one of the least corrupt political classes in the world, and one that is less corrupt than at any other time in history. What's changed in recent decades is the growing lack of deference to the political classes and elites in general, in part due to role of the media.
    I do hope people go out and support your local business tonight! Have a pint in the pub, eat out or get a takeaway, buy something from your local newsagent or grocer/butcher/etc... I'm going to be out & I hope to see lots of people out on SGR.
    When I was in Jacks wed afternoon the guy on the till was saying little Sainsburys had been looted that morning for alcohol.
    Just been to see Shah the dentist who was a bit worried his business may have been in jeopardy on Monday night. He was talking about the fire at the back of the Tesco.

If anyone can pick out the scallies who did this, then please shop them.
    "I do hope people go out and support your local business tonight! Have a pint in the pub, eat out or get a takeaway, buy something from your local newsagent or grocer/butcher/etc..."

I'll be going down the gym after that lot too. ;)
    Loads of sirens tonight (8.30pm- ish) but nothing obvious going on SGR. Obviously all on their way somewhere else though. Anyone know anything?
  • AliAli
    If your interested on who has actually been arrested have a look at this. <http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/aug/11/uk-riots-magistrates-court-list>; Names and gives some details of all who have been to court so far. I was surprised that it was not all young kids (or maybe they can run faster so don’t get caught) Surprisingly not one person has been in court yet charged with riot !
    So, apparently there's chaos in Finsbury Park due to a burning car somewhere, and lots and lots of police - does anyone know any more?