The Stapleton Tavern

Comments

• <P>It's a decent enough pub and if I was meeting a group of people I would suggest the Stapleton as it's big enough.</P> <P>Used to watch the football in there but I think they could improve on it. All the pubs in Stroud Green struggle on that front tbf </P> <P>Their service has always been good though and I've commented on it on here before. </P> <P>Music front could be improved. Playing whole albums for the duration can be tedious, Most albums have a fair few rubbish/filler songs on them but if you don't like the artist, style of music it's even worse. Some variety would be welcomed </P> <P> </P>
  • How do you 'improve' watching the football?<br>
  • edited March 2012
    Comments and feedback always appreciated.
  • I have to say I like both the Stapleton and Dairy, but I do tend to gravitate more towards the Staps.<div>The main reason is no longer there - we loved Beth. But even since she left the staff are still great and the atmosphere always good.</div><div>They do both have one big problem though, which seems to blight all pubs in SG/CE - really skanky toilets.</div><div><br></div>
  • @OldDairy Although you don't show sport in the restaurant, I can assure you that diners can hear it loud and clear. It's very noisy, and kills any attempt at conversation and changes the atmosphere completely - particularly the football.
  • <P>@<;A href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/86/odd stewart">odd stewart</A>  Restricting the people there to watch a game to the smaller part of the pub could be seen as a problem </P>
  • I really hope The Stapleton will bring back the Crafty Pint workshops...
  • TheOldDairy: I suspect that you know that I don't work there.  At least Adam, your predecessor, new that.  As I have said elsewhere in this thread, it is my favourite pub.  So maybe you knew that too.<br><br>I'm often impressed by your selection of ales, but there have been a few occasions when they were served to me when they were no longer fit for serving - this has not happened to me in the Stapleton.  Not the end of the world, I'm just noting it.<br><br>As for sport only be shown in the bar - then this has not always been true.  Perhaps you have changed your policy.  But last year I sat down for a meal with my girlfriend in the front 'triangle' area.  Another couple were also eating.  We had barely started when  a screen was turned on, and large numbers of people began to rearrange the furniture so that they could watch the game - including sitting at our table!  I have not eaten in there since (an excellent Burns Night meal aside), though I regularly drink there.<br><br>You're still one of the best around, mind.<br>
  • edited March 2012
    Hi All,<div><br></div><div>Sam the Bar Man from the Stapleton here. Just thought I'd drop you all a line to say hello + thanks for all the comments and feedback on here. </div><div><br></div><div>As some of you may or may not know, we have had a change of management here over the last few weeks with Charlie and Jake leaving to head up their own Antic operation in Clapton (The Clapton Hart)</div><div><br></div><div>Gracie is our new manager and she is quite fond of a knees-up, so some new and exciting events, menus and faces will be popping up, so keep an eye out.</div><div><br></div><div>I will also be keeping you guys updated on our roof kitchen food garden, where we will be organically growing fresh fruit and veggies, to be served downstairs, mere minutes after being picked! This paired with our own home-smoked meats and fish look for a very tasty summer indeed.</div><div><br></div><div>After reviewing some of our feedback, we will be sprucing-up our toilet facilities (front and back, girls and boys) in the next few weeks, with our usual quirky take on things.</div><div><br></div><div>I will also see to it that the Ipod is updated with a wide selection of beats and rhymes, so there will be no need for albums being left on loop (not on my watch!)</div><div><br></div><div>We aim to be a bit more vocal on the social networking side of things, not just to keep you guys updated on what's happening here, but also to give you a chance to let us know what you do/don't like or if you have any suggestions or ideas you would like to throw our way. Please find us on facebook, follow us on twitter @stapletonantic, or you can email us directly at thestapletontavern@gmail.com</div><div><br></div><div>that's all, bye for now </div>
  • I must go to the Stapleton Tavern.  I haven't been in since it changed hands many years ago.  I remember when it was a very dodgy pub run by a gangster.  That was in the 90s.  A friend was robbed by the owner of the pub. He didn't know until he went back into the pub a few weeks later. 
  • I miss the Torriano. Stapleton is good too though. 
  • @stapletontavern A spruce-up of the toilets would be very welcome!<br>
  • @<;SPAN class=Author><A href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/1058/kreuzkav">kreuzkav</A> Yeah it was owned by Charlie Kray for a while when it was called Danzibar or something. </SPAN>
  • edited March 2012
    <p>He was in jail then.  And this was before it was called 'Danzibar'  It was called the Stapleton Arms I think.  About the mid 90s.  The friend was a bit older and lived in the same flat with his brother.  The manager broke into the house because he thought he was someone else.  The friend then went into the pub a few months later and was shocked to see one of the intruders was the manager.  Anyone who remember Stroud Green back in the 90s probably remembers how horrible the pub was.</p>
  • @ R & J.  This is a true story.  Don't take the piss.
  • <P>I remember how it was back in the 90's. A family friend took it over for all of a few weeks before it got shut down. Was in there one night where three fights started at the same time. One bloke couldn't find someone to fight with so just headbutt on of the posts </P> <P> </P> <P>I'm not taking the piss either about the Charlie Kray thing. Was there for the opening night. Geoff Capes opened it, think his security firm had a contract on the door </P> <P> </P> <P>Lighten up wanyway, you come across as a bit of a plum</P>
  • <p>I thought you were.  It was as dodgy as fuck.  Very different bar today.</p>
  • As I am a nosey oik and the ST is my local- I was wondering what the building upstairs is. It looks like it could be a rather large two storey house but I have never seen anything except smears of white paint at the windows as if it were being redecorated and bare lightbulbs visible at night. It looks empty and unloved!<br><br>Anyone know what it is?<br>
  • edited March 2012
    <p>Sounds like some goods things are in the pipeline. </p><p>Gracie, Sam and co. Would you consider having a 1950's themed party or fete to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. I'd be most happy to pitch in and help.</p>
  • Yes I like the 50s party idea too. If it's not on a day that I'm already doing stuff, the Stapleton would be very welcome to borrow all my red white and blue + jubilee bunting and decorations.<br>
  • Surely time for the election of a new mayor?<br>
  • I spoke to Gracie last night and I'm going to write a factual but jolly account of the 'Stroud Green Badge' to go on the wall next to the big photo from the V&A. Carpenter Neil is keen to do a nice frame.  Maybe some members of 'The Mayor and Corporation' could club together if there are any small costs involved.     Anyone out there want to help with pulling the historical sources together about the 'Mayor and Corporation of Stroud Green' for posterity - @Arkady?<br>
  • An excellent Idea! <div><br></div><div>The royal wedding was a really fun day to be working, It was great having people in for champagne breakfasts. I am sure Gracie already has it on her events calandar, so I will pitch the idea to her this evening..</div><div><br></div><div>It is time for a new mayor I feel, Mayor Dan's reign of terror has not been an easy ride ;)</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • @miss annie -  I spoke to Gracie last night and she is all for the incorporation of a 50's theme into her Great British Gin Tea Party celebrations! 
  • Oh hooray! I'd be so happy to help. I'll send a message.
  • Was in the Stapleton last night and today I have a headache. I blame you, @stapletontavern!<br>
  • Happy to help.  I'll send John Hinshelwood an email.<br>
  • Idoru's a madam. Well, not an actual Madam but a lady.
  • @missannie @Idoru - beg pardon, we'll put that one down to the hangover :(