The Stapleton Tavern

Comments

• @vetski Let me see what we have planned for that day, could you give me an idea of times, attendance numbers and I'll get back to you on this.
  • <P>@stapletontavern, no clue - I only thought of it in response to your previous post! The WI will have to discuss it first - we'd need to muster our members as bakers and servers. Our Committee is meeting is next week, so we'll discuss it and get back to you, if that's OK?</P>
  • edited April 2012
    @vetski Sure, no problem :D
  • edited May 2012
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Hi All, </font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">I wanted to let all you hardcore stattos and sporty swots know about our Strictly Football Quiz - Taking place on Sunday 20th May - 8:30pm.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Hosted by our newly adopted pub team "Dover Castle FC" this will be a regular feature evening as the lads work hard to raise funds for their kit/pitch hire/training facilities etc for the coming season. All are welcome to pit your wits against their quiz master/captain in for the usual £1 a throw(-in) ;)<br><br></font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">All the best, </div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Sam <br><br></div>
  • I would come to this but our team would definitely win and it would be boring for everyone else.
  • @stapletontavern, about a Jubilee/vintage tea-party - we're now thinking Tuesday 5th June. We'd like to share with the other local WI, Gothic Valley, with funds raised going to Breast Cancer Care (we'd do it as a 'Strawberry Tea'). We'd do the baking and serving, hopefully you'd do tea & coffee etc. No idea of numbers yet, since we haven't begun to advertise it, but we'd advertise here, Twitter, Harringay Online, and in some local places e.g. the library. Does it sound like something which would interest you? I can drop by tomorrow about 1pm for a chat if that suits you?
  • @vetski Hi, that sounds like a fine idea! let me speak to the boss-lady and we will sort out a time for you to come in and discuss.
  • @vetski ah, it has been pointed out to me that this is the same date as we will be hosting our 50's themed gin/tea party :(
  • Ah. I guess not then. Never mind, thanks for checking!
  • Is the pub quiz still on a Thursday?
  • edited May 2012
    Certainly is! 8pm - just £1 a throw<div><br></div><div>in addition to this, we are now sponsoring a local football team who will be hosting a football themed quiz in our chandelier room on a Sunday evening. Again, just £1 a pop..</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/comment/53053#Comment_53053">http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/comment/53053#Comment_53053</a>; </div>
  • @stapletontavern, what's the maximum team size for the Thursday quiz?
  • OK, I'm not normally one to take to publicly complaining about things on the internet, but I've been seriously annoyed with the lack of service the last couple of times I've been to the Stapleton. Last night I waited at the bar for well over 5 minutes when there were literally 3 of us waiting to be served, and got ignored by every single member of staff. I'd have been ok if there was a 'sorry to keep you waiting', but nothing. I'd have even been ok if it was the first time it had happened, but I've had the same lack of basic manners last two or three times I've gone.<div><br></div><div>Please Stapleton, sort it out. You're by far and away my favourite pub in the area, but this is really starting to piss me off.</div>
  • I agree the service has gone a bit downhill recently with bar staff not paying any attention to who is at the bar until you wave them over they just ignore people waiting. 
  • Are the bar staff perhaps not British, and possibly failing to understand the relatively subtle way we British make known we're waiting to be served?<br><br>I noticed this with bus drivers - a few years ago I started putting my arm out to signal I wanted to board the bus, after finding that some of the European drivers failed to understand the subtle way that we British (used to) indicate whether or not we wanted to board.<br><br>roy<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • I was a bus driver for 16 years and always appreciated a " Thank you driver". I  am a regular at the Stapleton and notice that the service has dropped off somewhat. When I pointed it out I got a dirty look. Maybe the new manager will change things.
  • Simple answer. Go somewhere else.
  • <P>Haven't been in for well over a month and noticed service had been getting worse. Good timely service was the main reason I used ot go in there. The staff has changed over the last year and it's gone downhill with it. </P> <P>The last time I was in there I was watching some Italian football on the tv and one of the barmen came over and turned the tv off without even asking if I was watching it. </P> <P>Oh and another thing, table football is a game for loud obnoxious twats. Get rid of it </P> <P> </P>
  • I haven't been in for ages, and the main reason we stopped going was because of the service.<div><br></div><div>Also, I often drink Guinness and one of the bar staff would bash the glass on the bar a few times before topping it up and handing the pint over - not sure why - I can only guess she may have worked in a coffee shop and was perhaps used to doing that with jugs of hot milk!   I've certainly never known anyone else do that to Guinness!</div>
  • Yes it's terrible. That nice Aussie used to run it. What happened? Chang
  • The "Antic" group that own the Stapleton are in administration btw
  • I went into the Old Dairy on Wednesday night to ask if i could reserve an area for my birthday and the staff failed to acknowledge me in 5 minutes. Not even a glance to say "i've seen you, and I am coming your way soon".<br>So I thought - fuck you , I'll have my birthday drinks somewhere else, so went across the road to Stapleton.<br>A nice young lady attended my every need almost immediately.<br>Old Dairy's loss! (and a few hundred pounds at that)<br><br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2013
    Was in last night [Stapleton] for a couple of beers and the service was spot on, so just wanted to say that I guess they must be aware they've had some issues.  Plenty of staff on, and they were all attentive.   <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Must have been about 5 or so people waiting to be served in the Dairy a few nights ago.  One woman doing her best while some bloke - a manager, I'm guessing - stood with his back turned, polishing glasses and determinedly ignoring the crowd building up.  Odd way to run a business, but they're always busy so probably don't care.  Shan't hurry back though.<div><br></div><div>Two stops from Crouch Hill finds you at Gospel Oak and The Southampton Arms.  A very fine establishment indeed.</div>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Was in The Staps for the quiz on Thursday and had the usual friendly, attentive service from the staff. Just saying.</font>
  • To be fair on them, they have been better the last couple of times I've gone in - especially on Saturday when it was rammed during the rugby. With any luck this is a sign of things to come, I don't like travelling to get my pints.
  • I miss Kentish Town pubs. The Torriano and the Pineapple especially.