New Development Stroud Green Road

Comments

• edited 4:07AM
    hear hear
    hear hear, hear hear
    Well said, Andy. I think a lot of people would be very disappointed if the retail space were filled a "chain-type" store. Nandos, Miso and Tesco are not why I love SGR (although the Tesco is handy).
  • edited January 2009
    Just wondering Vista, aside from a grand purpose built plan, like a cinema, won't you ultimately just put them up for rent under whatever restaurant and retail unit specs fit the site and fill it with whoever pays the bills? Or is this sort of a pre-unit design moment? Trying to see what type of unit to put in?
    David

At present the plans are for restaurant, probably one larger one and one smaller one.

Whoever goes in must utilise the basement area which is more likely to be a restaurant (kitchens and seating can be in the basement area as well as the groundfloor) This gives the basement area a higher rental value than for say a retailer who will just use the basement for storeage.

As I have said before much depends on the demand when I go to market and yes the rental income is important to me but also having the right kind of operation to enhance the site is also important. It is a question of striking a happy balance.
    I'd love to see Dotori move to a bigger premises just up the road, as mentioned by Andy far above.

Other than that I wish you the best of luck - very exciting!
    A Starbucks

A fish and chip shop that stays open late

A soup shop

The everyman cinema is my favourite idea, if perhaps impractical.

That location is going to be so amazingly convenient
    Forget the cinema

Basement ceiling height is just 2.4 metres and the ground floor around 3.2 metres.

The slab seperating the ground floor and basement is structural - remove that and the top floor will end up in the basement. Not recommended.

Its a shame I never had the idea of the cinema a few months ago.
    I think the only sensible option now is a Laser Quest.
  • AliAli
    edited 4:07AM
    The other devlopment for the area must be the Centre North development, anything happening with that ?
    How about a funky design shop - the kind they have on Upper Street?
  • edited January 2009
    donnaw: you should walk up SGR to Home, opposite Woody's I like the idea of a soup shop! I love Nin-com-soup at Old Street station [http://www.nincomsoup.co.uk](http://www.nincomsoup.co.uk/) and their [daily menu blog](http://nincomsoupoldstreet.blogspot.com/)
    Any shops or restaurants etc. that are on the classier side of things would be great. This end of the road (the new development end, where i own a flat) desperatly needs smartening up.

Basically, as long as it's not yet another wig shop or hairdressers - how many does one road need!
    Ed I am doing my best to find an agent who shares the same vision for the site.

Unfortunately this is not very easy in today's credit crunch market
  • Hi Vista. Firstly - good for you coming on here and genuinely listening to local people. And best of luck with it. As for what goes there - I'd agree with all of the comments on here. But would much rather it was an independent restaurant rather than a chain. Though I guess in this day and age you'll be taking the biggest offer you get. Wouldn't say no to something really kid-friendly tho too ...
    maybe we could do this: <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/26/AR2008072601978.html>; *That's because the model for Elements is unlike any other Washington restaurant, and, as far as the founders can say, unlike any other restaurant in the world. If it successfully opens, Elements will be the first "crowdsourced" restaurant, conceived and developed by an open community of experts and interested parties.* I'm not saying raw pulses, but fresh food, big wooden tables, indie owned. etc etc
    The. Wisdom. Of. Crowds. Be careful mind, that could mean Nando's for all we know.
    We could call it "Faintheart"
    Ginger Monkey

You are right......I do have to consider who will be successful and who has the finacial clout to take on expansion in today's market.This sadly does not allow me to follow what I would like to see but I am trying to be mindful of all your comments.

Whoever ends up going in there though will make a vast improvement to this end of Stroud Green Road.

The apartments will all be finished to an extremely high standard and will set a new benchmark for others.
    Hi Vista,
    thanks for your input here. It's good to know what's going on.

I have a few questions...
    How far on is the development? When will it be finished?
    Will the cycle lane stay closed til work is complete?
    Are any of the flats housing association or are they all private?
    How many retail units will there be?

thank you :o)
    Now there's a money saving scheme. Have you suggested it to Islington council? ;o)
    heh, i need to sign on as a consultant, get the big bucks!
    Ooo ooo I can feel a Boris moment. Bike lanes could work like railway signals. Whenever the cyclist comes along, it switches the bike lane on.
    Mujo Hi

The development is due for completion September 2009 (if builders keep their word)

There will be 7 apartments for Social Housing (they will have their own entrance and elavator on the north side of the building)

There will be 27 private apartments with an entrance on the south side. Some of these apartments will be offered for sale (depending on market conditions) and some for rent. If the market is too depressed we will keep and let all of the flats

The ground floor and basement are currently divided into 3 x A3 units in shell form waiting for ingoing tenants to do their own shop fits. A3 means restaurant but this may become 2 units or we may have to apply for letting for other use depending on market interest in the site.

As far as the cycle lane is concerned I would think it will remain closed for the duration of the works.

There is a website for the development http://www.s-and-oproperties.co.uk

Hope this answers your queries

Regards

Vista
    hey vista

do your builders have anything to do with the giant hole in SGR just outside the gates to your site? it's currently full of water.

yesterday i got drenched by an arse in a white van speeding through it and today i saw the same thing happen to an old lady.

could you get one of your guys to fill it with gravel or something?
    That hole reappears every year - I can only conclude that it's bottomless, and anything they fill it up with falls through the centre of the earth.
    man, i'm writing to every nuclear power station right now. WASTE DISPOSAL, STROUD GREEN ROAD!

i'll just have to be sure not to get splashed again though :)
    Hi Vista A3 means just cafe's and restaurants, doesn't it? Shame you can't have a proper retailer on site. That might be give you more options. I would like a [Cafe Kick](http://www.cafekick.co.uk/), please.
    yay! definitely cafe kick. Walked past the World's end last night and they've got a table football table! May have to start frequenting the place.