New Visitors Start Here

Comments

• edited 8:18PM
    If you can guarantee an assortment of dogs for me to fawn over, I'll definitely become a regular!
    Hello, hello! My first post has actually been on the thread about Petek- mainly because I got a bit excited about food, and went a bit topsy turvy.

So a proper introduction! My name's Charis, I live on Hanley with the boyf and two slightly retarded cats. I've been here for about 2 years now, dragging the lad here due to my best friend being down the road (hehehe poor boy), and completely think of the area now as home. We're currently on the hunt to rent a one bedroom flat as soon as pos, and have gradually whittled our way from Finsbury Park, Crouch End or Muswell Hill, to Finsbury Park or Crouch End, and now Finsbury Park, Crouch End, at a push.

I love the community aspect of it here- and have only just discovered this online community, which is fantastic.

Anyway, that's probably a fair amount from me for now, but I will be merrily commenting away on threads, trying to get my opinion out whenever possible! ;)
    damok - Great! The lovely doctor Nick put our dog back together after a car accident (I take it he's from Dragon?).
    I was in the Dairy a few days after the big snow, and although it was very very very cold indeed (inside and out), the pumpkin soup and broad bean and bacon linguini was very very yummy. I will return. What time does it close on a Saturday, maybe I'll go for my birthday?
    I've just moved in with my boyf, who is on this site as "Ian" (not his real name). For the first part of our relationship I was hopeful to persuade him to re-locate to Highbury Fields, but was not successful. Turns out this place called Stroud Green is rather nice. Things I like about living here are:
    1. Finsbury Park station - having two tube lines is so much better than one, and you can usually get a seat, unless you are silly enough to travel at the peak of rush hour.
    2. Surprisingly good restaurants - Dotori, Petek, Cats, Pappagone
    3. Good pubs too - The Noble is my favourite. Old Dairy is fine, but too many tables are cold due to drafts from the door!
    Hi Bernie, I'm the assistant at the Dairy - Damon has gone to run one of our other pubs - The Penbrooke in Earls Court. The Dairy is open 'til 1 am Friday & Saturday. Thank you for the compliments!
    Hi Bernie - What did Damon do wrong to be sent to Earls Court????
    Haha, nothing: As one of the most experienced general managers in the company Damon has gone to run a recently opened pub - don't worry, The Dairy is in good hands!
    Yes thank you Lizzie - I have indeed been asked to sprinkle a bit of magic in earls court, I live in Stroud green though! My aura can still be felt in the dairy and I'll take credit for all things good (Easter weekend is going to be amazing) but I'm no longer to blame for anything that goes horribly wrong!! I feel that I've left the dairy a lot better than I found it - still need a quiz though.
    Hi all,
    I've lived in SGR (Oxford Road and then Victoria Road) for 3 years now and love it.
    So pleased to have discovered this online communtity, am already finding it really useful.
    Thanks to the people who run it!
    Liz
    damok, i've sent several messages about a quiz - no responses as far as I can see? let me know.
    Hello,

I found this place a while ago and it's been very handy for restaurant, pub and other local info, including what the hell is going on when the police close off roads! Have finally got round to signing up.

I live on Victoria Road, down at the Stapleton Hall Road end - moved in with my girlfriend about 6 months ago, she's been there a few years now.
    Welcome to you simon_g.
  • tgtg
    edited 8:18PM
    hello
    i've been living in stroud green for 3 years now and have enjoyed many a good read on this about all things local. love the parkland walk, jai krishna and getting used to the noble. a big fan of the "shop of dreams" (is it a londis?) on ferme park road, so re-named as it has almost everything you dream of in it and they always say hello and chat in a neighbourly way. also a little obsessed with someone turning the nicolas nickleby into something a little less intimidating.

sadly my first post was moaning about parking. i'm already a little embarrassed.
    Hi there,

I've been living in the Stroud Green area for a decade.
    A lot has changed since then, the majority for the better.

I've only discovered this website recently, and it's good to see a thriving local community online as well.
    Hello,
    I've just signed up and it seems I should come and say hello.
    I lived in SG for over 5 years but then moved to the wrong side of the tracks. Having spent 2 years on 'The ladder' I am know back in N4 - and how happy I am!
    yaga, tell me about the bad ladder stuff. We almost moved over there for more space this summer. Whereabouts too?
    David,
    We were on Fairfax Road (towards the turnpike lane end).
    We had a large family a few doors down who had no control over their rampaging kids (and the parents weren't any better) - Even the threat of an ASBO didn't make any difference and I got mugged by a bunch of hooded youths(!) in the Passage.

Generally just not a great area. It is cheap, but there is a reason. The only decent pub is the Salisbury and there are no decent cafes, although it does have an abundance of 24 hour corner shops which are great when returning home from a night out.

I may be being harsh but I wouldn't want to live their again.
    Yeah, doesn't sound suprising. We were looking at the lower end, below say Warham and on the other side, below St Anne's in the 'gardens'. Do you think it is probably the same deal as further up towards Turnpike?
  • I lived in Pemberton Road for 2 years and have a couple of friends in the area. It's perfectly fine, lots of families, students and professionals living nearby. It does get a bit grotty once you get past Hewitt Rd and the closer you get to Wood Green.
    The houses round there offer great value for money and though I do prefer SG, I'd go back and live there and still go to Green Lanes to shop and eat.
    Slight change of recent topic, but does Corbyn St still count as SG?

Blurred boundaries - much like my Saturday nights.
  • I live with Yagamuffin in a totally hetro-life-partner way. I think he's harsh on the ladder, but then I never got mugged and did grow up in a Seaside town.

Team Tollington for life, y'all.
    Hello,
    I've just realised that i should have started on here instead of on the 'new members, exciting' thread so I've done the old cut and paste thing onto here.
    I've lived in the local N postcodes for donkey's years now but I'm new to Stroud Green - Moray Road. I'm afraid I don't have a dog or a cat, just a goldfish. I do have a blog (just for my creative projects, not to witter on about my general mundane activities), if you'd like to have a nosey it's at http://annieopalfruit.blogspot.com/
    I like the Noble, but I've not discovered the Faltering Fullback yet, in fact I didn't know it existed until I read about it on here so thank you all for the tip off, sounds good.
    The site is great, I look forward to joining with the banter and chat.
    Hello,

I've lived most of my adult life (18 years) around the top of SGR and now live on Stapleton Hall Road.

Looking forward to behaving like a grumpy old man with you all!
    Welcome to the grump zone, tallboy, from a fellow SHR grump.
    I have been living round stroud green for a number of years and have only just discovered this site. Glad to have found the community as I hope it will be home for many years.
    Come on chaps, I claim the grumpy crown.
    Hello Stroud Green
    I've lived in the Finsbury Park area for 5 years and specifically Stroud Green for just over a year.
    I'm expecting my 2nd baby in 4 weeks so with a years maternity leave ahead of me thought it was a good opportunity to join this forum and get a bit more info on the local area.
    Thought you might, KRS...