Whats your Earworm?

Comments

• and if a ten tonne truck, kills the both of us, to die by your side, well the pleasure the privilege is mine.
  • <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; ">Supertramp – <a href="">Breakfast in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">America</st1:place></st1:country-region></a> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
  • Shuggie Otis - '<a href="">Strawberry Letter 23</a>'
  • these 2 songs often pop in & out of my head<div><br></div><div>Suzanne Vega - '<a href="">Tom's Diner</a>' </div><div><br></div><div>Carly Simon - '<a href="">Why</a>' </div>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana">also these 2 songs just because they have my name in them: </font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Cat Stevens - '<a href="">Matthew & Son</a>' </div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Karel Fialka - <a href="">'Hey Matthew</a>' </div><div style="text-align: left; "><font color="#333333" face="arial, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 18px;"><br></span></font></div>
  • <P>@checkski, if we're going classical piano, Tchaikovksky's Piano Concerto No 1 in B flat minor - the first movement has sent shivers down my spine since I was about 6 years old. Widening the instrument range, I love Mozart's Horn Concertos.</P>
  • gemgem
    edited March 2012
    <div style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small; ">Miserere by Allegri sends shivers down my spine...</span></div><div style="font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-size: small; ">
  • Don't Stop Movin' by S Club 7<br>
  • <P>@Idoru, oh dear... (*writer fails to confess that it always gets her out on the dancefloor*)</P> <P>The jump to classical reminds me that I meant to ask about choirs in the area. I've searched the forum and found Pooles Park, as well as the women's choir at St Thomas' Church N4 on the 3rd Monday of the month - but are there others? I thought Mind in Haringey had a community choir, but haven't found anything about it; anyone know about it? Are there other local choirs apart from those I've mentioned? I love to sing, but don't think I'm up to CEFC standard!</P>
  • <span class="goog_qs-tidbit goog_qs-tidbit-0"><p>I once spent a 3 day road trip in the USA with nothing but the Götterdämmerung and the 1812 overture. </p><p>And my earworm for the day is <span class="goog_qs-tidbit goog_qs-tidbit-0">Major-General's Song from The Pirates of Penzance.</span></p><p><span class="goog_qs-tidbit goog_qs-tidbit-0">When I was living in Italy I went to the opera as often as I could, I might come from Bradford but there is something about that music that moves me, now I am going to stop being mushy and sentimental and kick a puppy.</span></p></span>
  • Always be aware of those words you sing in your head. The powers that be know just how powerful subliminal messaging is, and how it can affect the masses. The subconsious mind absorbs everything. So next time you've got Britney Spears "I'm a slave" looping around in your head, or some "C"rap about blowing some MF away, think about the fact that you're programming your subconsious, and focus your mind on something more positive.<br><br>You only have to look at the occult symbolism in a lot of the music videos, such as Lady GaGa, to see the negative subliminals they're sending out, which most people consume without thinking about it.<br><br>Just think about how society has changed since the 80's, it's more violent, people have less empathy towards each other, we're being desensitised to war and other peoples misery, and we're turning into a society of subservients, obsessed with recycling, and complying with trivial rules, like not cycling in the parks, and getting your bins put out in time, with the rubbish all sorted into the right coloured bins, to name just a few.<br><br>Rant over! Just something for people to think about when you've got those jingles in your head that are so hard to get rid of! I wonder why?<br><br><br>
  • I don't quite understand how we can both be more chaotic and more law abiding at the same time. Violent crime peaked in the 1990s and is about the same level it was, if not lower, than in the 1980s. I imagine it was pretty brutal in the 16th century before recorded music, but perhaps all those "hey nonny no" songs were subliminally violent. All in all, what I am saying is that this looks to be a piece of Daily Mail style nonsense. <br><br><br>
  • Hai vissuto in Italia, Detritus? Dove? Io, a Firenze, anni fa.
  • Reggio nell Emillia and Roma, but my Italian is not great any more.
  • Nor's mine. There are some excellent classes at the City Lit, if you're interested - especially those run by Marina.
  • Ian,<br><br>Some people are more chaotic, some people are more law abiding. Do you really think this country was more violent in the 1980's? Maybe some parts were, but not as widespread as it is now.<br><br>Just sharing my observations and thoughts. Take it or leave it. Daily Mail nonsense? your opinion, perfectly ok with me. <br><br>Do you ever wonder why the kids are dressing like gangsters, talking aggressively, and behaving aggressively? Where do you think that behaviour comes from? They are conditioned by it, be that by their families, their peers, or from TV and music. Make of that what you will, just something to think about.<br><br>By the way, don't believe all those crime stats. The police always manipulate them, and lie to make themselves look better. Why do you think we don't see the yellow boards up anymore for violent assaults and murders? Because they want to create the illusion that it isn't happening.<br>
  • <p>Perhaps it was a 19th century version of Lady GaGa that inspired the Rebecca Riots?</p><p>Although you might be onto something, as the lyrics and images from the 'Stand and Deliver' and 'Prince Charming' videos have always stayed with me and are responsible for me taking a very dim view of modern sartorial standards.</p>
  • You can make light fun of it, but do you really think it's good imagery for children to watch? Not having kids yourself Annie, maybe you don't think about it. Half the time they won't know what they're watching or listening to, but their subconsious absorbs it all. There's a reason why they force that shit on us, besides the fact that they enjoy it.<br>
  • I'd rather share some evidence on violence rather than assertion that life was great in the 80s (not at football matches it wasn't, for instance) than make some assertion (the world's gone to pot) and then blame something unconnected (music). <br><br>e.g. I believe that the murder rate is at a historic low. Is that because of Adele? <br><br><br>
  • edited March 2012
    <p>We don't see the yellow boards any more because we have twitter, facebook and good quality CCTV now. </p><p>Crime doesn't seem to have risen in London but the crimes are different now. Murder stays stable (goes up a bit when it's hot), drugs crime and the crimes that are associated with it - burglary, mugging etc goes up. I am tempted to say that crime is more likely when people leave village community way of living and move to the city way of life where they might be disconnected and alienated, but this is plainly not the case as there are more cases of gun toting, spree killing nutjobs in the countryside Dunblane, Hungerford, Raoul Moat etc.</p><p>Detritus has a penchant for loud, angry death metal, but a more mild mannered chap you could not imagine. </p>
  • Ian,<br><br>The evidence ia all around you, just open your eyes and you might see. Yes, violence has always been around and always will be, and yes, I agree, football violence was worse in the 80's than it is now. But it's the subcategories that change, look at the gang culture, the  gun crime, and the knife crime. It's more prominent now than it was in the 80's (in this country anyhow).<br><br>But what I'm saying is, that it's conditioning that shapes behaviour. So it's as important to be aware of what you put in your mind as it is to be aware of what you put in your body. And there's a lot of negative shit coming from the music industry, which isn't good for kids, who are the biggest consumers of it by the way.<br><br>The reference I made to the 80's was in relation to the change in hip hop from then, to the more progressively negative and violent lyrics as it evolved. and also there's more gun crime and knife crime now, particularly amongst the young.<br><br>Yes, the world is going to pot, but music is just one factor the powers that be use against us. There are many other factors too.<br><br>My original point being, be aware of what you put in your subconsious mind. Singing lyrics in your head is the same as saying affirmations to yourself. It has the same effect.<br>
  • Mine is the theme tune to the Seventies TV series of The Famous Five. Another teacher at my school was playing a DVD to his class while I was doing my marking in the office next door and now it seems to have permanently embedded itself into my head!
  • Annie,<br><br>Really? Everyone uses twitter and facebook? and it's used as a way of jogging their memory at the scene of a crime? and they tweet the local police with a description of what they might have seen? Well isn't the internet wonderful?<br><br>No, the reason we don't see the yellow boards anymore, is because some do gooder higher up in the police or the government decided it's better if people think the crime rate has gone down, while they put out false statistics to support it.<br>
  • I prefer a more systematic approach to collection of evidence than that unfortunately. I'd start with p 19-23 of the British Crime Survey, which says (as above) violent crime peaked in the early 1990s and is now back down to levels from the mid 1980s<br><br>http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/science-research-statistics/research-statistics/crime-research/hosb1210/hosb1210-chap2?view=Binary <br>
  • oh dear! the clue is in the address... .gov.uk, like I said, don't beleive the stats.<br><br>
  • Of course, you are right, I prefer to believe people looking out of their window to official survey statistics. I take it all back.  <br><br>[unsubscribe...] <br>
  • "i before 'e' except after 'c'" I must keep saying that to myslef, then I'll be able to spell properly,<br>
  • well you've got a lot to learn youn man. I suppose you believe Saddam had WMD's, and Dr. David Kelly killed himself?<br>
  • trust your government! they always give you the facts. Keep telling yourself that,<br><br>
  • <p>'Addams Family' theme today, except my version - which has weasels in it. And 'Dizzy', the Vic & Bob version.</p>